With some schools closed for spring break in the coming weeks, some people are going out of town for getaways. Laurel County Sheriff John Root has some safety tips for people planning to leave town.
Safety tips include:
– Let a trusted neighbor know you are leaving.
– Don’t let your mail pile up. Have it forwarded or have someone check it for you.
– Put your lights and other electronics on a timer.
– Do not tell too many people about your out of town plans until you return home.
– Have a neighbor put your trash out on pick-up day.
Sheriff Root says his department also offers away from home extra patrols. Just send in information on where your home is and when you will be gone and deputies will provide extra patrol in that area while you are gone. Call the sheriff’s office at 606-864-6600 or 606-878-7000 or come by or send the information by email to: email@example.com